Sunday, December 19, 2021

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 38: Fun & Games

I wish I had interesting stories of my ancestors to really go in-depth with for this prompt but, truly, I don't. I do know that my Great-Great-Grandfather, Charles Clarence LaRue loved fun and games - he enjoyed riddles, pranks, jokes.. and that's been passed down through the generations. 

My Great-Grandfather, Richard "Dick" Blanford loved fun and games as well. Matter of fact, his favorite comedian was Jeff Foxworthy - a favorite of mine as well. Joking got passed down to my Grandpa Jady and of course, to my Mom and myself. 

My Great-Grandmother Lorene (LaRue) Blanford was a big fan of Crossword puzzles, I've heard. It makes a lot of sense because my Grandpa, my Mom, and even myself... we each enjoy them immensely. 

My Grandpa Jady is the one who taught me to play so many games -- Checkers, Scrabble, and Clue to name a few of them. Our favorite was absolutely Clue. My Grandpa was so good at that game.. I swear he snuck a peak at the cards, somehow! He was exceptional at Scrabble as well. You'd think he was just 'coming up with a word,' and you'd go to the dictionary to look at up and sure enough, it's a real world. 

We didn't really have any traditions of playing games on holidays or anything like that. I always lived just three or so minutes down the road from my Grandparents so.. we'd play games almost every time I went over for a visit. I actually introduced my Grandma to the Sudoku puzzles in the newspaper and she became an addict playing those. 

Grandma was really good at Excel on the computer, so she figured out a way to make herself a Sudoku puzzle checker spreadsheet to make sure she was working her puzzles correctly. I couldn't explain to you at all how she managed to do it.. I am a complete novice at Excel. It amazed me she was able to figure out how to do it, though. 

Grandma eventually spent the money to get CD-ROM games that we'd play together. Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Wheel of Fortune. Boggle. Scrabble. There's probably more I'm forgetting. We were all really big fans of Trivia style games. Grandma wasn't the best speller so.. she usually lost Scrabble or Boggle to me and Grandpa. If it involved math though, Grandma was a champ. 

She eventually got Bejeweled 2 from a friend of hers and that became my favorite game to play solo. It was strategy and I enjoyed it a lot. Even today, all the years I spent playing that game, has made me an ace at games on my iPhone that are like that. "Match 3" games if you will. 

I'll occasionally play Clue or Scrabble with a friend and I can't help but feel a longing to play again with my Grandparents. Every time I see a Sudoku puzzle, I weep for my Grandma. I can't even bring myself to do Sudoku's anymore. I do still actively play Crossword puzzles and Word Search puzzles. Those are my favorites. 

Sorry that I don't have any photos of us playing games or a whole lot to talk about for this topic. Hopefully the next topic will make up for that. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment