Friday, January 29, 2021

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 4: Favorite Photo

 


This is a photograph of my 2x Grandparents -- Martin Allen Blanford and Mary Agnes (Nally) Blanford. I *think* it was from their wedding but I could be wrong. He's in a suit and she's in a white blouse with a nice hair-style so.. I'm thinking wedding. 

This photograph is one of my most treasured possessions, and it was one of my Grandpa's favorite pictures, as well. You see, Mary Agnes died very young. Let's talk about Martin and Agnes for a few, shall we?

Martin was born on February 28th, 1888, in Morganfield, Union County, Kentucky, to Samuel Blandford and Mary Olive Oatman "Ollie" Raley. 

Mary Agnes was born November 6th, 1894, in Smith Mills, Henderson County, Kentucky, to Thomas Sidney Nally and Matilda Catherine McBride. 

On January 7th, 1913, in Union County, Kentucky, they wed, most likely in one of the Catholic churches -- Sacred Heart or Saint Peter's is my guess. 

They were the parents of six children -- one whom died/stillbirth. Of the living children, three were sons and two were daughters. 


On January 28th, 1927, at the young age of 32, Mary Agnes Nally passed away from pulmonary tuberculosis. She had been sick with this for about two years, according to the death certificate. She left behind children who were only 14, 12, 9, 6, and 4 (roughly) in ages. She was laid to rest in Saint Peter's Catholic Church Cemetery in Waverly, Union County, Kentucky. 






Thanks to an awesome group on Facebook called "Random Acts of Photo Restoration," I was able to get the crinkles fixed in the photo of Martin and Agnes. For the first time, I could really truly see Agnes' beauty. I used MyHeritage to help colorize the photograph and used the Remini app to "clear" up the photo a bit...and this is the final product. Martin and Agnes in all their glory in circa 1913. 108 years ago. 



If you're ever in Waverly, stop by Mary Agnes' grave and tell her hello. 94 years after her death, she is still deeply missed. There probably isn't anyone alive today who remembers her in person, as her children are long gone, siblings as well.. but, her Grandchildren feel her absence as the Grandmother they never got to know. My Grandfather would look at this photograph on his desk and think of his Grandfather, who didn't die until 1968 (my Grandpa would have been 32 in 1968)...but he always longed for a relationship with the Grandmother who died so young. It apparently shaped his father, Richard Blanford, who was their oldest child, in ways that I can't even imagine. 

Tuberculosis took another one of my 2x Grandmother's at a very young age... but that's a blog for another day. I'll wrap this one up by just saying.. remember your ancestors who died young, because without them.. you wouldn't be here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment