Wednesday, February 24, 2021

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 8: Power

When I think of the word "power" in genealogy, a lot of ideas come to mind... I could write about a powerful ancestor (someone who had a lot of influence, or perhaps was political), an ancestor who lived through something powerful (like an epidemic or a pandemic or a natural disaster), but the biggest thing I think of is... a strong patriarch and matriarch of the family. 

When I think of "power couple," a couple different sets of my ancestors come to mind, but I think today, I'll talk about my Great-Grandparents -- Richard Jerome Blanford and Verna Lorene (LaRue) Blanford. Dick and Lorene were the parents of 13 children -- the very first being a stillborn baby girl (premature birth) and #11 being a stillborn baby boy (full term birth). 

Dick and Lorene were the proud parents of: Charles Richard (1933), Kenneth Eugene (1934-1993), James Allen "Jady" (1936-2015), Jerry Lee (1938-2008), Delores Faye (1940), Mary Virginia "Ginny" (1941), Martha Ann "Motts" (1943-2020), John William "Johnny" (1944-2009), Linda Ruth (1947), Joseph Earl "Jody" (1951-1982), and George Edward (1953). Stillborn baby girl in 1931 and stillborn baby boy in 1950. Out of those children, only five remain.

Only eight of their children had children of their own -- making them the Grandparents of 29 grandchildren. Their last son, George, was born the same year that the first Granddaughter, Marcella "Marcy", was born -- 1953. 

Out of the Grandchildren, only three have passed away -- the first to pass away was Jerry Ray Blanford (1959-1969). He was killed in a car crash that also injured his brother Phillip and his late mother, Lottie. The second grandchild to pass away was my Uncle, James Allen "Jay" Blanford Jr (1965-2014). The third grandchild to pass was the eldest -- Marcella Louise "Marcy" Blanford Batey (1953-2018). 

Richard and Lorene were wed on July 11th, 1931. Lorene passed away just a few months shy of their 60th wedding anniversary. Lorene passed on May 8th, 1991, after a long hard battle with breast cancer. Dick lived a few more years -- long enough that I had a chance to meet him (his great-Grandchild); he passed away on December 14th, 1995. 

Dick was one of six children born to Martin Allen Blanford and Mary Agnes Nally before her young death at the hands of pulmonary tuberculosis in 1927. Lorene was one of eleven children born to Charles Clarence LaRue and Carrie Annie Byrd -- three of those children dying in either infancy or shortly thereafter. 

Richard was born November 5th, 1913, in Union County, KY. Lorene was born October 9th, 1914, in Henderson County, KY. Both of them, even in childhood, spent most of their years living in the Smith Mills area and then continued to live there even after marriage. 

According to my Grandpa, they lost at least three houses to fire when he was a young boy. They eventually settled on a place at the end of Star School Road (in the Geneva area) called "The Latta Place." I'm guessing because the prior owners of the house were the Latta family. The house was a bit eerie -- at the end of a road, surrounded by cornfield all around. The bayou also wasn't too far away. 

As of a few years ago...all of the land has been sold, the house is gone, and it's all farmland now. In the late 1970's, Dick and Lorene had a house built for them on Trigg-Turner Road. In fact, my Grandma Glynda helped make out the blue prints for it. That was the house they lived in until they passed away. It was a large house with a library and everything. My Mom has several stories of going fishing out there. 

In fact, Dick had apple trees and ran his own orchard. He was known for making his cider as well. In the "power" aspect -- Dick was a relatively well known man in the community. He was a farmer his entire life and sold many a cow, bull, pig, and horse at livestock shows. He made it into the newspaper on several occasions for auctions of farm equipment, auctions of livestock, or for donating to charity (usually a 4H type program.) 




My Mom says that there was always a coffee pot going and an urn of tea in the Blanford household. We love to talk and we love to spend time together -- but like with every family, when the Grandparents pass away...the family fractures a bit. My Mom sadly, other than at funerals or family reunions, didn't see her cousins much after her Grandparents passed...and I'm experiencing the same thing now. If it wasn't for Facebook, I don't think we'd talk to any of the family anymore... it's not like anybody drops by to have a cup of coffee, not in the COVID days. 

I don't have very many memories of Dick.. I can remember watching fireworks out at his house one Fourth of July -- probably the Fourth of July in 1995, I would have been a little over two years old. It's a very very vague memory.. I wasn't even sure it was a real one until I talked to my Mom about it and she realized that's what I was remembering. I can't remember it, but we found photos from that summer, where apparently I must have caught my first fish as well. 

Hanging on our wall here at home, we still have an aerial picture of his house and farm... the last I heard, they'd turned that house into a fishing or hunting lodge or something. We also have a laminated copy of the front page of the Features section of The Gleaner that he was featured in for his apple orchard and apple cider years ago. I have a lot of things that were passed on to me from them.. well, given to my Grandpa, then to my Mom, then to me. 

We have an early 1900's roll-top desk that belonged to my Great-Grandfather. I one day want to make that my genealogy desk but.. our house isn't cleaned up enough to get it in here. One day it will be (a girl can dream anyway.) 

I'm a lot like my Great-Grandmother Lorene -- apparently she had a knack for genealogy as well, as she wrote into a newspaper in Evansville once seeking information for her Dad's side of the family. She also loved to do crossword puzzles... I love to do them, too. Apparently it's a LaRue thing to like puzzles and working with your mind. Her father, Charles LaRue, loved them as well. 

Being a prankster and a jokester also runs in the Blanford and LaRue family genetics. Apparently my Grandfather and Great-Grandfather alike... the cornier the joke, the more they loved it. I, too, am a connoisseur of corny jokes. "Dad" jokes. "Pun" jokes. Whatever. The cornier the better. According to my Mom, Dick had a hat that said, "I'm spending my Grandchildren's inheritance," and he wore it with pride. That's the type of jokester that I am as well. 

I guess I could sit here and type for ages about Dick and Lorene.. but I'll wrap this on up and say, they're a prime example of who I think of when I hear the word "power," or "patriarch" or "matriarch." Without them, the family has slowly started to fracture into pieces...branches of the family tree forking out and going their own way. They were two amazing, incredible, and powerful people in their own rights...and made even better together with their family. 


Richard and Lorene are buried in what I call "Blanford Memorial Gardens" here in Henderson -- Saint Louis Catholic Cemetery. Next time you're there, say hello to them if you can. 



2 comments: