Monday, May 24, 2021

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 16: DNA

 


Charles Clarence LaRue was born on June 8th, 1883, in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Benjamin Hardin LaRue and Mary Philapine Lawrey. 

Carrie Annie Byrd was born on October 28th, 1884, in Henderson County, Kentucky, to John Byrd and Maria Moore. 

They were married on April 27th, 1904, in Henderson County, Kentucky. 

Together, they reared eleven children -- with three of them dying as young children. Through those eight children that lived to adulthood and had children of their own, they became the Grandparents of at least 63 grandchildren. I'm not even going to sit here tonight and try to count how many great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren, and now even great-great-great-Grandchildren that this wonderful couple has. 

Carrie was the first to pass on June 29th, 1955, at the age of 70; leaving Charles, or "Charlie" as he was known throughout the community, a widower. A few years later, he would re-marry to the double (or perhaps triple) widow and once divorced: Sarah Jane (Beck) Hallmark Roberts Wise Staser. 

"Miss Sarah" or "Miss Staser" as her step-children and step-Grandchildren called her - was born Sarah Jane Beck on October 9th, 1887, in Henderson County, Kentucky. She was the daughter of John P. Beck and Alice Logsdon. Her first cousin, Thomas Jesse Beck, married Charles LaRue's sister -- Laura Pearl LaRue. 

"Miss Sarah" married first to John Luta Hallmark on November 14th, 1903, in Posey County, Indiana. After having a passel of children, they divorced sometime around 1917-1918 and then she married a Roberts. I'm unsure what the first name of the Roberts man was...but he must have died shortly after their marriage. Sarah "Roberts" married again on August 17tth, 1921, in Posey County, Indiana, to Martin Van Buren Wise. He, too, died very shortly afterward. By late 1922 or early 1923, she married George Charles Staser, who he remained married to until his death in 1950. 

Miss Sarah, too, passed away before Charles on February 26th, 1976; leaving him a now double widower. Charles "Dad" LaRue eventually passed away himself on November 20th, 1980, at the age of 97.

Growing up, I've heard stories not just from my Grandpa Jady but from my Mom as well. Dad LaRue was quite a character from what I gather. He loved a good joke, a hard-to-solve puzzle or riddle, and could pull off a decent prank every now and again. Charlie loved to use his mind and apparently was interested in his family tree. An interest that he apparently passed down to several of his descendants, including myself. 

That finally brings me to why I'm writing about my Great-Great-Grandparents, Charles and Carrie (Byrd) LaRue for the topic of "DNA." 

I've tested through Ancestry and 23andme, uploaded for free to My Heritage, Family Tree DNA, GEDMatch, and Living DNA. There are LaRue/Byrd descendants on Ancestry, 23andme, My Heritage, and ftDNA. Counting up (so far) all of the descendants, including myself and my Mom, who have DNA tested... the number has come out to 39

39 descendants of Dad LaRue and Carrie Byrd have done their DNA on one (or more) website(s). I wonder what this couple would think of that today. I wonder what Dad LaRue would think about having all the descendants that he does. He apparently didn't realize he had half as big of a family as what he did. 

Charlie's father, Benjamin Hardin "Ben" LaRue was born in December of 1844, likely in Hardin County, Kentucky, to Josiah "Si" LaRue and Mary Castleman. He was one of at least eleven children. His parents, though, I believe died by the time Ben turned 10 or so years old.. How and why Ben LaRue ended up in Henderson County is a mystery to me... perhaps he came with relatives. Perhaps he came on his own. Perhaps he followed a Church congregation... I'm really unsure. But we know by September 3rd, 1867, Ben is living in Henderson County, as he married his wife, Mary Philapine Lawrey, here on that date. 

Growing up -- Ben told his children nothing of his parents or siblings -- or at least, not much. In the 1970's, Charlie's daughter, Lorene (my great-grandmother) wrote into a local newspaper for help finding family of Ben LaRue at the behest of her father. I believe she had some answers because my Mom remembers a road trip that she took, during the mid 1980's (after Charlie's death, unfortunately), with her parents and Grandparents, to go out west. Somewhere in Kansas, my Great-Grandma Lorene met some of her LaRue cousins. Most likely, they came through one of Ben LaRue's brothers. 

Today, I have a very good idea of what happened to almost all of Ben LaRue's siblings. His parents definitely disappear between the 1850-1860 census years.. so I believe they both died. Perhaps of an epidemic? Cholera perhaps?

Ben's brother's Samuel & Jim married the Burdine sisters and headed west for Arkansas.

Their brother, William, jumped around between Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas after marrying a Burnett.

Their brother, Jacob, married three different times (two times to a couple Petty's) out in Kansas.

 It appears their brother, Squire, stayed in the Hardin County, KY, area and married a Stopher (Stofer) woman.

Their brother, David, also married a Petty girl and moved to Kansas. 

Their sister, Sarah, I believe died in 1864 -- likely buried in Hardin County, Kentucky. 

Thomas married a Talbot and moved to Kansas and apparently had nothing but a slew of daughters -- so I don't believe any of them passed on the LaRue name. 

Elizabeth, only appearing in the 1850 census and being 2 years old.. probably died around the same time her parents, Josiah and Mary, did. 

Lastly, Lydia, married a Burdine (brother to the Burdine sisters) and stayed in the Hardin County area.
 

If there were any more children of Josiah and Mary between 1850 census taking and their deaths... I've never found them. Only the married children have I been able to find in an 1860 census. Even my 3x Grandfather, Ben LaRue, I cannot find in an 1860 census. I ponder if the youngest LaRue children (those under 18 and unwed at the time of their parents deaths) were placed in an orphanage or something similar. Perhaps this could be why Ben was apprehensive and reluctant to tell his children about any of his siblings or his parents. 

Ben LaRue is a widower by the time of the 1900 census -- his wife, Mary, likely dying in the 1890's. Ben, too, died by January 1st, 1901. I've heard that he and Mary are buried, unmarked, in the Smith Mills Cemetery. Dad LaRue, Carrie, and some of their children reside in Smith Mills Cemetery, too



For the last portion of this "DNA" topic -- I'm going to show you just how differently you and a parent can match the same person. DNA is such a random inheritance. You can match siblings of one another at completely different levels! For sake of privacy, I will be using initials only because all of these DNA matches are still living. Some of these cousins have only tested at 23andme, and so far, my Mom hasn't used her 23andme kit yet, so I don't know her cM numbers for those matches so I'll only be reporting my cM values for those. I will be separating these matches as to which child of Dad LaRue and Carrie Byrd that they descend from, starting off with the one I descend from. 

Verna Lorene LaRue, my Great-Grandmother
October 9th, 1914 / May 8th, 1991
Married Richard Jerome Blanford on July 11th, 1931
Mother of 13 children, only 8 of which had children of their own. Grandmother of 29. I couldn't begin to count up how many great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren Lorene and Dick have.


First and foremost, me and my Mom share 3,443 cM with each other. A number that high will always be a parent/child relationship unless you are an identical twin or you've accidentally done your DNA two times and then of course, you'll match yourself as "Self/Twin". 

D. B. -- Great-grandson of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 1st cousin -- 1,228cM
My 1st cousin 1x removed -- 565 cM

W. B. -- Great-grandson
Mom's 1st cousin --
My 1st cousin 1x removed -- 537 cM

L. C. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 651 cM
My 2nd cousin -- 331 cM

L. I. -- 2x Grandson
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 638 cM
My 2nd cousin -- 326 cM

S. H. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 660 cM
My 2nd cousin -- 291 cM

S. B. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 654 cM
My 2nd cousin -- 283 cM

L. H. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 455 cM
My 2nd cousin -- 248 cM

T. B. -- 3x Granddaughter 
Mom's 1st cousin 2x removed -- 108 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 37 cM

Opal Lois LaRue 
March 22nd, 1922 / August 27th, 2006
Married Thomas Allen "Tom" Blanford on June 22nd, 1940
Mother of 14 children, Grandmother of at least 29 (There's a few of Opal & Tom's kids that I don't believe have ever been married or had children).
 

These cousins would be DOUBLE cousins for those of us who are descended from Lorene & Richard. Why? Because Lorene & Opal are sisters -- Richard & Thomas were brothers. 

D. C. -- Granddaughter of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's double 1st cousin 1x removed -- 1,067 cM
My double 1st cousin 2x removed -- 470 cM

J. C. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's double 2nd cousin -- 483 cM
My double 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 265 cM

A. J. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's double 2nd cousin 1x removed --
My double 3rd cousin -- 191 cM

M. B. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's double 2nd cousin 1x removed --
My double 3rd cousin -- 103 cM

Bonnie Wyonia LaRue
March 25th, 1916 / March 19th, 2002
Married Martin Albert Ganno on April 21st, 1934.
Mother of 11 children, Grandmother of at least 30.


D. G. -- Grandson of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 622 cM
My 1st cousin 2x removed -- 404 cM

B. B. -- Granddaughter
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 686 cM
My 1st cousin 2x removed -- 390 cM

J. B. -- Great-grandson
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 418 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 253 cM

K. G. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 295 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 172 cM

J. B. -- 2x Grandson
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 254 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 108 cM

A. B. -- 2x Grandson 
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 190 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 71 cM

S. P. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 141 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 33 cM

D. T. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 211 cM

T. M. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed --
My 3rd cousin -- 82 cM

Woodrow Wilson "Woody" LaRue
November 2nd, 1912 / November 11th, 1974
Married Mary Myrtle Culver on June 29th, 1930
Father of 9 children, grandfather of at least 26. 

R. L. -- Grandson of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 582 cM
My 1st cousin 2x removed -- 318 cM

T. B. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 395 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 213 cM 

T. J. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 293 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 171 cM

M. B. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 207 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 112 cM

K. F. -- 2x Grandson
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 136 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 60 cM

G. Z -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 768 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 426 cM

Ann Bessie Louise LaRue
August 20th, 1918 / January 10th, 2008
Married Joseph Willard Buckman on October 3rd, 1940
Mother of 6, Grandmother of 21


J. B. -- Grandson of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 1st cousin 1x removed -- 588 cM
My 1st cousin 2x removed -- 419 cM

H. C. -- 2x Grandson 
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 168 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 116 cM

K. C. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 116 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 98 cM

H. C. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 212 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 76 cM

A. C. -- Great-granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin --
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 215 cM

Shelby Clark LaRue
June 19th, 1905 / August 11th, 1979
Married Amie Lelia Blades on December 6th, 1940
Legal father of 3 children, and 1 child I discovered he had before he married through DNA testing; Grandfather of 6, +2 more if you count the grandchildren through the child he didn't know about. 


A. Y. -- Great-grandson of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 303 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 159 cM

A. E. -- 2x Grandson
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 240 cM
My 3rd cousin -- 58 cM

S. W. -- 2x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 1x removed --
My 3rd cousin -- 86 cM

Rosa Lee LaRue
December 31st, 1909 / January 19th, 1988
Married first to Benona Houston Alstadt Sr, second to Ray Alvin Miles.
Mother of 2 children (one by each husband), Grandmother of 3. 

C. A. -- Great-granddaughter of Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd
Mom's 2nd cousin -- 248 cM
My 2nd cousin 1x removed -- 148 cM

D. D. -- 3x Granddaughter
Mom's 2nd cousin 2x removed -- 29 cM
My 3rd cousin 1x removed -- 17 cM

And then surprisingly... no descendants of Uncle Jimmy have tested, yet. 

James Alma "Jimmy" LaRue
March 22nd, 1924 / December 25th, 1988
Married Sue Catherine Mills.
Father of 4 children, Grandfather of at least 8.


I'm incredibly surprised no one from his line have tested yet.. or if they have, I haven't run across them yet (ruh-roh!) 

By the number of grandchildren I counted up... Dad LaRue & Carrie Byrd should roughly have 154 great-grandchildren. I would go out on a limb to say that it isn't impossible to say that Dad & Carrie might have anywhere from 250-300 2x Grandchildren (myself being one of them.) That number is absolutely astonishing to me. Mind boggling. Perplexing. Astounding. I would love to see the look on Charles & Carrie's faces, today, in 2021 if I were to tell them they possibly had 154 great-grandkids and as many as 300 great-great-grandchildren. I bet they'd be bewildered.

I'll wrap this blog up with a thank you for reading through all of this, and thank you to all of my LaRue/Byrd cousins for DNA testing at the various websites available. It makes this genealogist cousin of yours extremely happy! Please urge our other cousins to test if they possibly can, and if any of you need any help with your tests or test results... send me a message on my Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment