Monday, July 19, 2021

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 27: Free (An introduction to my followers)

 


Update: On November 7th, 2021, I decided to use this blog post as my "free for all" for the topic "Free" - 52 Ancestors challenge, week 27. 

I'm Brecca. I'm 28 years old, born and raised in Western Kentucky. My family has deep roots here in Henderson County and I couldn't think of a better place to have grown up and to live currently. 

I've been doing genealogy since I was seven years old (2000). It started out as a simple question poised to my Great-Grandmother, "Nana, did you know any of your Great-Grandparents?" Unfortunately, she had Alzheimer's and couldn't answer it. 

My Grandma and I took to doing the family tree the old way. I learned how to do genealogy in the genealogy department at the Henderson County Public Library. Grandma and I spent hours looking at census books, and learning how to work the software on the computer to find birth, marriage, and death records. 

Undeniably, I was bitten by the "genealogy bug." I wouldn't have it any other way. I've always been the "weird" kid. I always preferred to sit with the grown ups and listen to stories from yesteryears, the days gone by. I loved hearing stories of my Grandparents youth. I loved hearing about my Great-Grandparents, and my Great-Great-Grandparents. My Mom was lucky enough to know 3 of her Great-Grandparents...they were born in the 1880's!! (So jealous.) 

Being a genealogist has always been a dream job of mine. I had lost hope of becoming one because of how costly and how many hurdles you had to jump through to become a "certified" genealogist.. and there's only one university that provides a proper degree in family history and you have to be of their religion to attend. It looked like my dreams were crushed. 

At the end of 2016, a couple of my good online friends said they'd pay me $20 to do their tree regardless of a degree or certification... and the rest is history. I started this little "at home" "side hustle" and it became my full-time self-employed job. With twenty-one years experience, I realized I didn't need a fancy degree or certificate to show I know what I know. I just needed the skills and confidence... trust me, I have that by the bucket loads when it comes to genealogy. 

In 2018, I dipped into genetic genealogy by doing my DNA. I worked on my own, my parents, and then some of my best friends'. I accidentally stumbled upon some skeletons in my friends' DNA and solved some paternity cases.. Here it is 2021 and I've found the biological family for at least nine people now. DNA is by far my favorite thing about genealogy these days. It's fascinating. 

My big ticket item as a business are my family tree binders. I do small, medium, and large binders now. They take a lot of time to prepare.. a lot of my blood, sweat, and tears (quite literally) go into them and I've been told they're worth every penny. 

I love nothing more than working on a Henderson roots family tree. More than likely, if you were born here in Henderson to parents that are from here, too... we're related. 

Some of my ancestral names here in Henderson/Union/Webster are: Blanford, Sandefur, Nally, Thompson, McBride, Raley, Moss, Hazelwood, Mattingly, Gibson, Busby, Duncan, Denton, LaRue, Lawrey, and more. 

My paternal names (not from Henderson) include: Mefford, Jones, Bastin, White, Turner, Knight, Hardison, Bowers, Wilder, Singleton, Brown, Goff, Jeffords, and more. 

In late 2015/early 2016, I helped found the group "Henderson Ky Cemetery Research." As of 2021, I'm the lone ranger and don't get out to cemeteries even a quarter as much as I'd like to. In early 2019, I started the group "WKM Cemetery Research," to encompass the entire Western Kentucky Metro area -- Western KY, Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, Southeastern Missouri, and maybe even western Tennessee! I've been in the newspaper a couple different times for the cemetery group and attending historical events here in Henderson & Evansville. 

I live in both Henderson, KY, and Sebree, KY, now so when it comes to cemeteries -- Henderson, Union, and Webster are my main focus. But I have dabbled some in visiting cemeteries in Daviess, McLean, Ohio, Crittenden, Livingston counties. When it comes to my Dad's side of the family, a lot of them are buried in Muhlenberg County, Butler County, and Logan County. 

I consider myself a bit of a "local historian," when it comes to Henderson. I've even played tour guide to a famous Gibson cousin -- an Emmy-winning journalist! Realistically in the future, I'd like "tour guide," to be part of my job title. 

I'd love to get to know each and every one of you, so please don't hesitate to comment this and tell me a bit about yourself and your genealogical journey!! Thank you for following and supporting my dreams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment