Saturday, August 13, 2022

52 Ancestors 2021: Week 25: Groups

Introducing the world to my literal 'babies' - our cemetery groups on Facebook. 

Henderson KY Cemetery Research Group

WKM (Western Kentucky Metro) Cemetery Research

Anyone and everyone is allowed and more than welcome to join. We love new members and embrace anyone who is interested in cemeteries - new or old. 

For a while, I was stumped on what to write about for 'groups' and then it finally hit me tonight: my cemetery groups on Facebook!

First and foremost, I have to mention my baby - Henderson KY Cemetery Research Group. It wasn't my brain child and I never, ever, no matter her feelings towards me or anything else want to take credit for it. Originally, the group was made in December of 2015 to house Sarah's cemetery photography, to talk about the cemeteries here in Henderson County, and for us to potentially get out and research some. 

Sarah and her then husband, Dustin Vittur, went out to some cemeteries in the Bluff City, Hebbardsville, Niagara areas and started having some success finding tombstones buried beneath the dirt (sometimes as little as three or four inches, and sometimes as much as a foot deep) that had been lost for decades. They were prodding the ground with fiberglass rods (about five feet in length. You can buy them at Rural King. They're actually called 'driveway stakes' I believe.) 

Well, the three of us had struck up a fast friendship in September of 2015 and knowing that I shared her love of cemeteries and the enthusiasm as well, they started inviting me along to the cemeteries and gave me a rod to look for tombstones. The first real cemetery adventure I went with the on was New Years Day 2016 so 1/1/2016. We ended up discovering a cemetery out in the outskirts of Hebbardsville (on the Green River) that even Mr. Blue didn't know about. 

Mr. Blue was a local man who in the 1980's and 1990's mapped out all (or close to all) of Henderson's cemeteries and made an accompanying book of the burials. The first tombstone I actually managed to find was in Ridgewood Cemetery in February of 2016. After finding my first tombstone, I was absolutely hooked. 

By September of 2016, Sarah had lined us up with an interview with the Gleaner and in October of 2016, we made the front page of the Sunday edition of the Gleaner newspaper. We were interviewed out at Bethel Cemetery and the tombstone we found that was featured was that of Eulalie Cosby. The tombstone had been missing for at least fifty years, if not longer. 






That day was absolutely one of the happiest days of my life. No matter our falling out - I will thank Sarah for the rest of my life, and thank God, too, for bringing her into my life and giving me the amazing opportunities that she did. 

We had our most successful day finding tombstones out at Bethel Baptist in October of 2016. We heaved so many tombstones up from a ditch... and for a long time we believed they had fell down over the edge with time. I've since talked to someone whose family owned land out there and they let me know: those tombstones were intentionally shoved down into that ditch, which just knowing that, it disgusts me. 


None of the above tombstones were documented in Mr. Blue's book so they had absolutely been uncounted for since before at least 1980. Bethel Baptist is definitely a treasure trove of lost tombstones buried beneath the Earth or off the side of the ditch. Cash Creek also proved to be a decent place to find lost tombstones. One day when we were out there, we found the lost tombstone of the son of Dr. McCarty. 


After making the front page of the Gleaner, we were asked to come document Brown-Konsler Cemetery in Cairo. The cemetery is actually set up to kind of be two different cemeteries - but right beside each other. Historians and genealogists over the years have just kind of decided to merge them because they really are in the same spot, separated by a few trees.


Then we were asked to come to Webster County and document a cemetery in the middle of the woods -- Asher Cemetery, and checked out Rock Stile Cemetery (which was a stones throw away) as well. 


Then we were asked to come check out Boswell Cemetery out in Bluff City which was 100% on our bucket list. The owners of the Craven Boswell house were SO incredibly nice. 




In November 2016, just a few days before my best friend was killed in a horrendous car accident, we were asked to document Dorsey Cemetery out in Corydon. We even found Noah Dorsey's lost tombstone! Noah and his wife are credited with naming Corydon and pretty much founding it (officially yet unofficially at the same time.) Noah's tombstone is a double - the bottom half is a young daughter of theirs that had passed away. 


After that, a lot of the cemetery stuff died down, especially for me, because I lost Nick so tragically in that car accident. I was broken and devastated. We did a few cemetery things in 2017 but a lot of it, Sarah and Dustin did by themselves, which I was more than okay with. They got a few more cemeteries documented out in the Zion and Hebbardsville areas which I'm incredibly thankful for.

By 2018, I knew something was going on between the two of them. I had lined up going out and documenting the Sights Cemetery but, that never happened. It was like, I had been shut out. At the start of 2019, I felt like I had been ex-communicated from the group because of S & D's divorce, so I started up my second baby -- WKM (Western Kentucky Metro) Cemetery Research. By mid 2019, I was told that I could have Henderson KY Cemetery Research Group, because both S & D had moved about an hour to an hour and a half away in different directions. I was relieved. 

WKM Cemetery Research hasn't done *as much* as our Henderson group but that's because my collaborators and myself haven't had the chance to get out and do as much. Taylor and I managed to find Jordan Cemetery in March of 2019, which was quite a feat for Henderson KY Cemetery Research Group. Jordan Cemetery is so grown up, you can't even tell it's there. It took us thirty minutes to finally find it. We wouldn't have ever finally found the right area to look if it wasn't for Taylor's Dad saying he and his late wife had been walking one evening and stumbled across it back before Taylor was even born, I believe. That finally gave us a pinpoint of where to look.




Jessica and Taylor have both done some things in Indiana for WKM, but as with all good things, things come to an end. A literal demonic seed that I called my best friend since I was 11 years old came in and destroyed the friendship I had with Taylor and of course, she felt slighted when I kicked her from the WKM group and blocked her, she tried to say she was the owner and operator of WKM (bull). We're on better terms now that we know who the demon spawn is and what she did to us.. but now WKM is just Jessica and myself. Supposedly, Taylor has started her own new group in Warrick Co and well, good luck to her, of course. The more cemetery research groups the better in my opinion. 

The last big thing I did for Henderson Ky Cemetery Research Group was getting Cheatham Cemetery in Zion documented and even finding a lost tombstone there. Well, the other half of a lost tombstone. It was in November of 2019 and a very exciting and rewarding day!





Now here it is late 2021 and I've been asked to come out and document a couple different locations but, it's November 7th, and I'm sick as a dog. Changing of the seasons (when it gets super cold for the first time of the year) always gets me sick. 

I'm hoping to order the large D/2 kit from Atlas Preservation and get to cleaning tombstones in the spring. Here's to 2022 being a big and exciting year for me and Henderson Ky Cemetery Research Group! I sure do miss finding lost tombstones. I miss being out in cemeteries and doing what I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment