Monday, August 1, 2022

May Scavenger Hunt: Find the grave of someone who made the ultimate sacrifice.

 Herman Louis Paff did just that, making the ultimate sacrifice. He was killed in action in Argonne, France, during World War 1.



My entire life, I've lived beside of Fernwood Cemetery - the end of it that houses Herman's grave. (Tombstone photo I'm using is credit to Karen Waddell. She got the photo at the right time of year with a flag and red, white, and blue flowers.) This tombstone is one I've passed a million times, at least, and I always take a moment to think about him and his family each time I do.



The first thing I found was Herman's WW1 Draft Card which was filled out and signed on June 5th, 1917. He stated that he had piles, defective hearing, and fainting spells. He was working at the Henderson Brewing Co. in the bottling department. It didn't sound too much like Herman would have been drafted, given the statement he gave.. but, the war effort was tremendous by the next year.



Herman, from historical documents, received his training at Camp Zachary Taylor on June 19th, 1918. By August 27th, 1918 - he was departing New York on the ship Mauretania. According to his military paperwork, he was part of the sanitary detachment of the 305th Infantry.

Herman was killed in action during the Meuse-Argonne offensive on October 3rd, 1918. He'd only been overseas for a month and a few days at this point.

(You can read about the Meuse-Argonne battle here: Meuse-Argonne Offensive)

Now, I'm not a war expert, nor am I a military expert - but the best I can gather... each infantry had their own Sanitation Detachment and the best I can figure out - they worked alongside the medics. I think in WW2 they were called Medical Detachment. I believe Sanitation Detachment was in charge of what was called Sanitary Trains? Getting supplies to the medical tents and whatnot.

From someone who isn't military savvy, I'm unsure how Herman's actual casualty came about and can't find really anything explaining the specifics. The sanitary detachment was absolutely at the front lines helping medics, so, I'm guessing him being killed in action means he was killed while helping the medics and helping the wounded.

(Sorry for my rambling there. Others who are more intelligent on military and wars can absolutely correct me and chime in!)



Herman was only 23 years old.

Herman was originally buried in France in the Argonne American Cemetery, but on June 20th, 1921, he was disinterred in Europe to be sent home at long last.

It appears that on July 21st, 1921, his remains were transferred from Antwerp, Belgium to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship Cantigny for the trek home for reinternment.

Posthumously, Herman was awarded the World War 1 Victory Medal and a Purple Heart.

He was a loving son of Fred Paff and Louise Vogel. He was a first generation American on his father's side, and second generation American on his mother's. His father was from Bacharach, Germany; and his maternal grandparents were from Brunswick (or Braunschweig), Germany.

Herman had a brother, Fred Paff, and a sister, Alvina.



Your sacrifice is not forgotten, Pvt. Paff. Generations of your family continues on, and they share the memory of you.

Thank you, Sir, for your sacrifice. Thank you for helping keep America the home of the free.

No comments:

Post a Comment