Monday, August 1, 2022

June Scavenger Hunt: Find a common last name in your area.

 I know there are a few more prominent last names than Williams, but trust me, it's pretty dang popular! haha.



This is the grave of Vandelia (spelled Van . Delia on her grave) "Vannie" (Nally) Williams. As with the other Vandalia/Vandelia's in the family, their name is often said to have really been "Vannie Delia" or "Vannie Dalia." That's why Vandelia's is written the way it is on the top of her tombstone.

Vannie was the daughter of Henry Oliver Nally and Vandalia Delia "Vannie" (Gibson) Nally. Henry & Vandalia were my 3x Grandparents. I suspect that my 3x Grandmother was also a "Vannie Delia" but the full spelling of her first name was Vandalia - likely named after the proposed colony. ( Read more about that here: Vandalia Colony )

Vannie was actually a twin sister of Henry Oliver "Bud" Nally (technically he was a Jr, but he and his father never used Sr & Jr in their names). They were born on November 19th, 1891, in Corydon, KY. They were clearly named after their parents - but Vannie's first name was spelled Vandelia, whereas I believe wholeheartedly my 3x Grandmother's was Vandalia.

Vannie married Richard James Williams, likely in late 1912, and they had only one daughter -- Eleanor Dorothy Williams on September 16th, 1913.

Unfortunately, on November 9th, 1913, just ten days shy of her 22nd birthday... Vannie passed away of vascular disease of the heart and dropsy. The following day, she was laid to rest in the Gibson Cemetery where quite literally her entire family resides.

After Vannie's passing - Richard remarried to Vannie's niece, Gertrude "Gertie" Baker. (Gertie was the daughter of Vannie's eldest sister, Emma.) Together, they had one son who died in infancy.

Vannie and Richard's daughter, Eleanor, married Elvis McKasson and had at least four children. Eleanor lived to see the age of 70, passing away in 1984. Her family resides over on the Indiana side of the river these days.

Vannie Williams has one of the largest graves in the Gibson Cemetery... and she certainly deserves it. A young wife, mother, daughter, sister... taken incredibly too soon.

Along with her niece, Vannie Louise Thompson, and her cousin, Vandelia (Gibson) Schultz.. she and her mother make up the only four known Vandalia/Vandelia/Vannie Delia's in the family. It's a name I'd love to see brought back to life in the family. I've always wanted to name my first daughter Glynda Geneva (after both of my Grandmothers) but if I had a second daughter, I'd likely name her Vandalia Janella (to pay homage to my 3x and my 2x Grandmothers.)

Rest in peace, Great-Great-Grandaunt. 🙏 Almost a hundred years later, you aren't forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment