Sunday, November 28, 2021

Corydon, Ky; Insurance Agent Dies

I wasn't unfamiliar with the name Gayle Frasier whatsoever when I was revisiting the Gibson Cemetery back in August/September for a project. I've seen his tombstone a many of times in my life but - I didn't know exactly who Gayle was until I researched a bit more. 

Gayle was born on February 8th, 1885, in Webster County, KY, to John C. Frasier and Lee Forrest Pressley. (His father is buried in Corydon Cemetery, and his mother is buried in Springdale Cemetery in Sebree.) He had at least three brothers. 

In about 1907 or 1908 - Gayle married Lucile S. Gibson and they only had one son: Ambrose Haywood Frasier. 

It seems the Frasier family jumped around between Corydon, Detroit, Michigan, and Evansville. It was in Evansville that Gayle passed away on May 24th, 1950, at the age of 65. It was the article I found in the Evansville newspaper that clued me into a lot of back story of Gayle's life. He was a local insurance agent, and he was well known in the baseball circles of Western Kentucky. 

Gayle had been a manager of Corydon's Press League champions in the early 1930's, and prior to that, he'd been a player for a many of years. Very neat to learn this tidbit of information! Another famous Corydon resident became to the 2nd commissioner of baseball in 1945 -- A.B. "Happy" Chandler. I ponder if Gayle and Happy knew one another. I can't imagine that they didn't. 

Next time you're out at the Gibson Cemetery - stop and introduce yourself to cousin Gayle. 





No comments:

Post a Comment