Friday, November 5, 2021

I'd like to introduce you to Henry & Vandalia (Gibson) Nally.

I wish so much that I had a photograph of my 3x Great-Grandparents, I feel like I could tell their story so much better with a face to go with their names, but, my words will have to suffice. 

Henry Oliver Nally was born on November 3rd, 1856, in Texas - I believe quite possibly Bonham, Fannin Co, TX, to Thomas Sidney Nally and Martha Jane Oliver. Henry was one of only I believe three children born to the union - his Mom passing away in 1875 and his Dad remarrying. Through that marriage, he gained two half-siblings. 

Vandalia Delia Gibson was born on December 21st, 1856, in the Cairo vicinity of Henderson County, KY, to John Gregory Gibson and Mahala Caroline Busby. Vannie, as she was called, was one of thirteen children. She was number nine, I believe, in the birth order. She was just shy of her twelfth birthday when the Lord called her Mom home. 

Henry and Vannie were both raised in the Corydon area of Henderson County. They married one another on January 28th, 1880, at Old Highland Missionary Baptist Church in Morganfield, Union Co, KY. 

They started out their married lives living in the Hitesville area of Union County. Twenty years later, they're in the Corydon area of Henderson County once more. Together, they reared seven children - including two sets of twins!

Their children were:

Emma Nally ~ December 9th, 1880 / December 23rd, 1955 ~ Married George Oscar Baker

Camilla Nally ~ October 20th, 1882 / November 3rd, 1962 ~ Married Sam Thompson

Mary Janella Nally ~ October 20th, 1882 / December 29th, 1972 ~ Married John Rowan Thompson (My Great-Great-Grandmother)

Sidney Thomas Nally ~ April 5th, 1885 / November 15th, 1926 ~ Married Mamie Eva Phillips

John Gregory Nally ~ June 16th, 1889 / October 3rd, 1955 ~ Married Wallace Watson

Martha Vandelia Nally ~ November 19th, 1891 / November 9th, 1913 ~ Married Richard James Williams 

Henry Oliver Nally ~ November 19th, 1891 / October 15th, 1972 ~ Married Eula May Duncan, Ruth Lee Hall, and Mamie Eva Phillips. 

****

Henry's occupation was farmer - definitely not unusual for where we live and the family he was born into. Vandalia was just a stay-at-home mother and wife. Both she and Henry could read and write. I'm not sure if either one ever attended school. More than likely they both had a bit of at-home learning, but Vandalia being a girl, might have went to a community school at one time or another. 

Henry was the first to pass away on December 14th, 1925, at home after a 'long illness.' His death certificate states 'vascular disease of the heart' and 'dropsy.' He was only 69 years old. He was laid to rest in the Gibson Cemetery. 





Vandalia lived another twenty-three years after the death of her husband. She continued to live out in the Corydon area - but passed away on July 5th, 1949, at the home of her daughter, Emma Baker. She was 92 years of age and passed from arteriosclerotic heart disease. She was laid to rest beside her husband in the Gibson Cemetery.





Next time you go out to the Gibson Cemetery, stop and introduce yourself to my Great-Great-Great-Grandparents. I'm sure they'd be appreciative of the visit and chat. For the first time in my life - I've realized they have her death year wrong -- she died in 1949, not 1948. That's something I'll have to get corrected when I come into some money. 

Vandalia, actually, became a bit of a family name starting with Vandalia Delia (Gibson) Nally. There is another blog post I've done on the name "Vandalia" if you scroll back through my posts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment