Sunday, November 28, 2021

The devastating end of Erastus Gibson

Erastus isn't someone I'm unfamiliar with. I've seen his tombstone a dozen times in my life, every time I go out to the Gibson Cemetery.. but I was ignorant to his life's story. Bless this man's heart. This article broke me inside. 



God rest your soul, Erastus. I'm proud to be your cousin -- 1st cousin 4x removed to be exact. 

Erastus was the son of George Harrell Gibson and Cora Francis Young. He was the second of only four children: three boys and one girl. Erastus had married Mary Evelyn Hughes on November 27th, 1912, in White County, IL. They procured a divorce before he left to fight in World War 1, the way I understand it. The article speaks for itself on how life went for Erastus after arriving home from war. 




The next time you're out at the Gibson Cemetery in Corydon.. give some special attention to his grave. He certainly deserves it. Hopefully I can get his tombstone looking new again come this spring. 



No comments:

Post a Comment