Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Neosha "Noty" Culver: The "Queen of Petty."

Y'all my 3x Great-Grandaunt wins the Petty Crocker award without a doubt. While I was working on my Gibson Cemetery project back in September, I came across this article involving the sister of my 3x Grandmother, Vandalia Delia (Gibson) Nally.

Neosha Jane (Gibson) Culver, also called "Noty," or misspelled as "Nora" in this article.. took her son-in-law (actually EX son-in-law at this point) Ellis Earle Gibson to court for SASSING her. Yes, you read that correctly -- SASSING her.

This was in the Evansville Courier & Press on September 10th, 1912.





I would shake Noty's hand if I could. I actually live next door to Fernwood, where she's buried. She's buried just a stones throw away from my Great-Grandmother, Anna Elizabeth (Thompson) Sandefur, which would be her great-niece. My next door neighbor is the great-granddaughter of Neosha, making her my 3rd cousin 2x removed. Our house, actually, was originally "Culver land" when the Culver's originally bought the house next door to us and adjoining land sometime after the 1940 census.

Funny how little things like that happen. It happens quite frequently when you're the town genealogist and related to everyone here (in one way or another.)

Ellis Gibson married his cousin, Bertha Culver (Neosha's daughter), on December 5th, 1899, in Henderson County. The Gibson's and Culver's are two families that inter-mingle quite a bit with one another.

I can't seem to find Ellis or Bertha in the 1900 census, but sometime between 1900-1910, they divorce and she remarries a Kavanaugh. They had at least two kids together: Edith Earl, and Roberta. 

Anyway.. I had to share this laugh with y'all. She thanked the court for the $25 and then later admitted to it "not being enough." 😂😂😂😂😂 The petty genes run strong in the Gibson women apparently. I can very much see this as something each of my direct maternal ancestors would have done. Hell, I wonder if Neosha's sister, Vandalia, my 3x Grandmother, was this petty. I'd believe it completely if I ever found out she was! I could definitely imagine my Great-Great-Grandmother, Mary Janella (Nally) Thompson being this petty. 

SASSING. I just can't get over it. I'm still rolling in the floor laughing. I can't help it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment