Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Mining Accident in 1917 claims Ivan Gibson

Ivan Gibson was the son of George Lafayette Gibson and Lockie Ann Christopher - he was the twin brother of Beverly Gibson. 

He was the grandson of James William Gibson and Mary Watson. Great-grandson of Berryman Gibson and Susan Duncan... thus making him a 2x Grandson of Joel Gibson, the patriarch of the Gibson family here in Henderson County, Kentucky.

Ivan's parents and grandparents are buried in Gibson Cemetery #2 and his Great-grandparents and 2x grandfather are buried in Gibson Cemetery #1.

Ivan married Eunice Odessa "Dessie" Baker in about 1902. In the 1910 census, they were living in Union County, KY, and from there, they removed to Missouri. They had at least three children together: sons Jefferson Douglas, and Carson; and a daughter, Jimmie. 

Ivan was killed in a mining accident on what was just his second shift of work. Ivan didn't have a Find-a-Grave until I came across his sad and untimely death while working on my Gibson Cemetery project back in September. I made one for him in the Poplar Bluff City Cemetery (most likely the place of burial) and he is likely buried unmarked. 

His death certificate reads "Poplar Bluff" as the place of burial. With only himself, his wife, and three young children living where they did in Missouri, and it only being Ivan's second shift of work... I imagine the coal mine might have helped with payment to bury Ivan. That's why I believe he's unmarked -- the family probably never could afford a tombstone.

His family, after the accident, all left the Missouri area and eventually went to Texas... His widow married a Holt for two years and then married a Fridge (yes, the last name, not the nickname for Refrigerator), dying in Texas in 1973.

Ivan is forgotten to the family and forgotten to genealogists no more. As sad and as tragic as his death, I'm glad to know of him now and I'm glad I could give him a place of memorial on Find-a-Grave. I'm glad I could honor him with a post on my genealogy Facebook page and now here on my blog. If you're reading this - just take a quiet moment to remember Ivan Gibson, my cousin.

Rest in peace, 2nd cousin 4x removed.





No comments:

Post a Comment